- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Oil and line an 8×8-in. square baking dish with parchment.
- SIFT flour with cocoa and salt in a small bowl.
- COMBINE chocolate with butter in a medium bowl. Microwave on medium until almost melted, stirring halfway through, 2 min. Stir until smooth.
- WHISK eggs with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Scrape in chocolate mixture, then stir until combined. Gradually stir in flour mixture, just until almost mixed. (Overmixing toughens brownies.) Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed. Spread batter in prepared dish. Smooth top.
- BAKE in centre of oven until edges are firm and middle is set, 35 to 45 min. (A toothpick inserted in the centre may have chocolatey crumbs clinging to it.) Remove pan to a rack and cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into 16 squares. Brownies will keep well, covered, at room temperature for up to 3 days or wrap in foil and freeze up to 1 month.
A lesson on butter
Because melted butter has already released much of its water content, it makes the finished treats soft and dense, as well as flavourful. Use it in: loaves and brownies.
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 15 g
Fibre 2 g
Sodium 92 mg
How to make double-chocolate sablé cookies