A lesson on butter
Soft butter: when butter and sugar are creamed together, air is incorporated evenly in the base of a batter or dough. It creates tenderness and lift in baked goods. Use it in: cakes and soft cookies.
Toasted coconut cupcakesBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 5 min
Light, airy and extra coconutty, these delicious cupcakes will be a hit every time you make them.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut , toasted
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips , melted and cooled
- 3 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut , toasted (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 12-cup muffin pans with cupcake liners.
- STIR flour with 1 cup coconut, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- BEAT 3/4 cup butter with granulated sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy, 3 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture in 2 parts, alternating with coconut milk. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 25 min. Cool in pans on a rack, 10 min, then remove cupcakes to racks and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
- BEAT 1 cup butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer, until creamy, 1 min. Beat in 1 cup icing sugar and melted white chocolate, 1 min. Reduce speed and beat in 2 cups icing sugar in 2 parts. Beat on medium-high, scraping down side of bowl, until fluffy and smooth, 2 to 3 min. Frost cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with coconut.
How to cream butter and sugar
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 41 g,
- 21 g,
- 1 g,
- 103 mg.
A lesson on butter