Updated May 24, 2018Chatelaine
active dry yeast, (2 tsp)
granulated sugar, divided
3 1/3 cups
unsalted butter, softened
vegetable oil, for frying
- COMBINE yeast, 1 tsp sugar and milk in the bowl of a stand mixer, stirring to combine. Let stand until bubbly, 10 min. Beat in eggs, salt and remaining sugar with dough hook on medium for 1 min. Add flour and beat dough until smooth, 5 min. Add butter and mix for 3 min.
- FORM into a ball. Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 1 hr.
- LINE 2 baking sheets with parchment and lightly spray with oil. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat out until dough is 3/4 in. thick. Cut out rounds with a 3-in. cutter, placing onto prepared sheets 2 in. apart. Gather scraps and pat out once, letting dough rest 5 min before cutting. Cover sheets with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm area until doubled again, about 30 min.
- CLIP a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a large pot. Heat 1 1/2 in. of oil over medium to 350F. Fry doughnuts, 2 or 3 at a time, flipping halfway, until golden and puffed, 2 min. Drain and cool on a rack.
- FIT a piping bag with a small plain tip and fill with jam. Poke a hole into the side of each doughnut with the handle of a wooden spoon, creating a small space in the centre. Insert the piping tip and fill each doughnut with about 1 tbsp jam. Return doughnuts to rack. Place icing sugar in a fine sieve and gently sift over doughnuts.