May 26, 2016Chatelaine
- PREHEAT oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir flour with 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, salt and zest in a large bowl until blended.
- MIX in butter, using your fingers, until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- GRADUALLY stir in 3/4 cup 10% cream, just until dough can be formed into a ball.
- DIVIDE into 8 equal wedges on a lightly floured counter.
- GENTLY pat each into a circle about 2 1/4 in. wide and 3/4 in. thick. Arrange biscuits on prepared sheet at least 1 in. apart.
- BRUSH with 1 tbsp 10% cream. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in centre of oven until lightly golden, 12 to 14 min. Cool on a rack.
- USE a sharp paring knife to slice vanilla bean in half lengthwise. Scrape out vanilla seeds. Whip 35% cream, using an electric mixer on medium, until firm peaks form when beaters are lifted. Beat in vanilla seeds and 1 to 3 tbsp sugar.
- CUT cooled shortcakes in half horizontally and layer with cream and sliced strawberries.
NutritionCalories 391, Protein 6 g, Carbohydrates 35 g, Fat 25 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 209 mg. Good source of vitamin C
How to hull strawberries: a safe and easy method