Salted Chocolate Tahini Skillet Blondies
Photo, Jan Scott.
I’m a fan of both dense, fudgy brownies and chewy chocolate chip cookies, and a blondie is what you’d get if the two united. This variation is spiked with tahini, adding an underlying nutty richness from the sesame paste, and embellished with chopped chocolate and finished with flaky sea salt—and the combination is both sweet and salty. In other words, it’s totally amazing. Tahini is a Middle Eastern ingredient that is now available in most grocery stores. Look for it where you would find vinegars and condiments, or in the international aisle if there is one.
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
vanilla bean paste
, or pure vanilla extract
chopped dark chocolate chunks or
, (about 6 ounces/170g)
vanilla ice cream
, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and kosher salt; set aside.
- In a 10-inch (25 cm) cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium- low heat. Once the butter has completely melted, add the brown sugar and whisk together until it dissolves, about 1 minute.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the tahini, eggs, and vanilla. Carefully mix with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula until just combined. Allow to cool slightly.
- Fold the chopped chocolate into the dough. Transfer the dough back to the buttery skillet and press it evenly into the pan. Sprinkle with the sea salt, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the blondie is golden brown on top and the centre is set. You’ll know it’s done when a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the middle of the blondie comes out clean.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let cool for at least 30 to 45 minutes before slicing. Slice into wedges like a pie, or cut into as many squares as desired. Top each serving with vanilla ice cream, if using. Blondies will keep for 3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Excerpted from Oven to Table by Jan Scott. Copyright © 2019 Jan Scott. Photography by Jan Scott. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.