Salted-almond Nanaimo barsBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 30 min
Some of our kitchen team find traditional Nanaimo bars too sweet, so we developed a bar we all could love. Thanks to cocoa powder, salted almonds and much less sugar, we got it.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut , toasted
- 3/4 cup graham-cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped salted roasted almonds , divided
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 tbsp custard powder
- 1 vanilla bean , seeds scraped
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- LINE an 8 × 8-in. baking pan with overhanging parchment.
- COMBINE toasted coconut with graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup almonds and cocoa powder in a large bowl. Stir in 1/3 cup melted butter and corn syrup. Press evenly into prepared pan.
- BEAT icing sugar with 1/2 cup butter, custard powder, vanilla seeds and vanilla and almond extracts using an electric mixer on low, 1 min. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until pale and fluffy, 2 min. Spread evenly over base.
- MICROWAVE chocolate in a small bowl, stirring halfway, until smooth, 1 to 2 min. Pour over custard, smoothing top. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. Chill until firm, 2 hours. Let stand 15 min, then cut into bars.
How to melt chocolate using a double-boiler
For a classic Nanaimo bar:
Try our Classic Nanaimo bars recipe.
Nutrition (per bar)
- 1 g,
- 13 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 37 mg.