Rhubarb curdBy Chatelaine
How to extend the all-too-short rhubarb season? Make curd! This genius idea was inspired by lemon curd – just sub in rhubarb. Spread it on pancakes, spoon it into little meringues, fold it into whipped cream – or just eat it from the jar.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb , about 6 stalks
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter , cut into 6 cubes
- WHISK eggs with 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl.
- COMBINE rhubarb with remaining 1/4 cup sugar and water in a medium saucepan set over medium-high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Gently boil until rhubarb is soft, 7 to 8 min. Remove from heat. Whisk rhubarb until smooth. Whisk in lemon juice.
- WHISK rhubarb mixture slowly into egg mixture. Scrape back into saucepan and set over medium-low. Continue cooking, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until thick, about 10 min. Remove from heat and stir in butter, a cube at a time, until smooth. Chill completely before using.
- Tip: Whirl mixture in a blender for an extra-smooth texture.