Kitchen Tip: Sandwiched cookies will start to soften after 2 days in a covered container. Store plain sugar cookies in a covered container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month. Decorate with chocolate and sandwich with jam the night before serving for best results.
Raspberry sugar sandwich cookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 35 min
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 170 g finely chopped white chocolate
- 43 g finely chopped cacao butter
- 1/4 tsp red gel food colouring , such as Christmas red
- 1 1/2 tbsp pink peppercorns , finely crushed, divided
- 1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- STIR flour with baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat butter with sugar in a large bowl for 2 min. Beat in egg, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla, then reduce speed to low and gradually beat in flour mixture until just combined.
- DIVIDE dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a ball, flattening slightly into a disc. Wrap separately with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hr or up to 1 week.
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Remove 1 disc from refrigerator and let sit for 5 min. Roll to 1/8 -in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut out shapes with a 1 3/4-in. fluted square (or square) cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets, 1/2 in. apart. Bake until cookies are golden, 9 to 11 min. Let cookies cool on sheets for 1 min, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough, chilling scraps as needed.
- FLIP over parchment paper on baking sheets. Temper chocolate and cacao butter. Stir food colouring into chocolate until combined. Dip half of a cookie into chocolate diagonally. Shake off excess. Lay on prepared sheets. Sprinkle chocolate side of cookie with a pinch of peppercorns; repeat with remaining cookies. Let stand until chocolate is firm, about 30 min.
- STIR jam with vinegar and remaining peppercorns. Spread half batch of cookies with about 1/2 tsp jam mixture, then sandwich with remaining cookies.
Chatelaine Cookies: Hamantaschen
[bc_video video_id=”5738575567001″ account_id=”10190175001″ player_id=”default”]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 14 g,
- 6 g,
- 39 mg.