Raspberry pieBy Chatelaine
1 h 35 min
The all-shortening crust is supremely flaky but subdued in flavour, which lets the tart raspberry filling shine.
- 680 g raspberries , (about 5 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg , beaten
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 batches all-shortening pastry
- 2 tsp coarse sugar
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 350F.
- TOSS raspberries with sugar, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl until coated. Let stand, stirring occasionally, until flour is absorbed, 10 min.
- BEAT egg with water in a small bowl. Roll out 1 disc of all-shortening pastry into a 13-in. circle on a lightly floured surface. Lift onto a 9-in. pie plate set on a baking sheet. Press dough over bottom and up sides of plate, leaving a 1-in. overhang. Scrape raspberry mixture into pastry. Brush overhang with egg wash. Roll out second pastry disc into a 14-in. circle, about 1/8 in. thick. Cut into 6 2-in. strips. Make a lattice top.
- BRUSH lattice and overhang with egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake in bottom third of oven until golden, 1 hour and 10 min. Let stand at least 2 hours before serving, or overnight.
Cooking Class: Free-form strawberry pie
[brightcove id=’25064882001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 50 g,
- 22 g,
- 7 g,
- 232 mg.
- Excellent source of