Raspberry and basil créme brûléeBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
3 hrs 10 min
- 1/2 pint raspberries , about 1 cup
- 6 egg yolks , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 2 1/2 cups 35% cream
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 tsp vanilla
- mini blowtorch
- PREHEAT oven to 300F. Arrange 6 ramekins in a baking dish large enough to hold all of them. Divide raspberries between ramekins. Boil a kettle of water.
- WHISK egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until sugar dissolves and mixture is pale and smooth. Reserve, putting a damp kitchen towel under the bowl to keep it steady. Heat cream with basil, stirring often, in a medium sauce- pan over medium, until it starts to boil, about 5 min. Remove and discard basil. Gradually pour hot cream into egg mixture, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 2 min. Whisk in vanilla. Divide mixture among the ramekins. Pour enough water from the kettle down the side of the baking dish until it comes halfway up the ramekins.
- BAKE in centre of oven until custard is just set and centres are jiggly, 50 min to 1 hour. Transfer ramekins to a rack and let cool slightly, 10 min. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- SPRINKLE the top of each ramekin with about 1 tbsp of remaining sugar. Smooth tops. Caramelize the sugar with the blowtorch by keeping the flame close to the sugar, using a sweeping motion. Melt sugar to a dark amber colour, then let stand until sugar firms up.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 39 g,
- 40 g,
- 2 g,
- 43 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A