Peppermint sparkle marshmallow recipeBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 25 min
Add a little extra sparkle to your holidays with minty homemade marshmallows. Try them on their own — or use them to add a holiday finish to a steaming cup of hot cocoa.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 7-g pkgs unflavoured gelatin powder
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup white corn syrup
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- liquid red food colouring
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar , divided
- LINE an 8 × 8-in. baking pan with overhanging plastic wrap. Lightly spray with oil.
- POUR warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Sprinkle in gelatin. Let stand 2 min to soften.
- STIR 3/4 cup sugar with corn syrup, cold water and salt in a small saucepan and set over high. Boil without stirring for 1 min. Stir in peppermint extract and remove from heat.
- SET mixer on high, then pour hot syrup in a stream down the side of the mixer bowl, beating gelatin mixture until it is thick and sticky and white peaks form, about 4 min. Scrape into prepared pan, smoothing top with a lightly oiled spatula. Squeeze red food colouring drops all over top of marshmallow. Using a skewer, swirl colour over marshmallow. Cover with overhanging plastic. Let stand at room temperature until marshmallow is set, about 2 hours.
- SPRINKLE 1/4 cup sugar over surface of marshmallow. Turn out onto a cutting board. Discard plastic wrap. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup sugar over entire surface. Cut into 1-in. cubes. Roll each piece in any remaining sugar until all sides are coated. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition (per piece)
- 9 g,
- 13 mg.