Jun 12, 2018Chatelaine
- TOPPING: Preheat oven to 350F. Coat bottom and sides of 9-in. round baking pan with butter. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom. Arrange peaches in concentric circles over sugar. Set pan aside.
- BATTER: Whisk flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl using an electric mixer on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 min. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition. Beat in almond extract.
- BEAT in flour mixture on low in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk, until just combined. Spread over peaches, smoothing top.
- BAKE until cake is browned and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 min, covering with foil if browning too quickly. Let stand 2 min. Run a knife around edge of pan. Place a large platter overtop and carefully invert. Let cool slightly before serving, about 30 min.
Kitchen tip: If you prefer pecans to almonds, pulse flour, 1/2 cup pecans, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Store almond flour (and all nuts) in the freezer to prevent the natural oils from going rancid.
Kitchen tip: To make buttermilk, stir 3/4 cup milk with 2 1/2 tsp white vinegar and let stand for 10 min before using.
NutritionCalories 350, Protein 6 g, Carbohydrates 46 g, Fat 7 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 263 mg. Good source of vitamin A
Weekend Baking: Chocolate-orange Jaffa cake