Peach-almond sponge cake
* PLUS Baking Time: 50 minutes, Standing Time: 60 minutes
Photo, James Tse.
cream of tartar
, melted and cooled
- Position oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 325F. For easier removal of cake, flip base of a 9-in. springform pan upside down. Spray the bottom of pan, then line with parchment.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer at medium speed until it starts to froth, 1 to 2 min. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Scrape into another bowl. Set aside.
- Beat remaining 3/4 cup sugar with egg yolks on high in same unwashed bowl until thick and pale, 1 to 2 min. Using a large spatula, stir in flour, zest, almonds, almond extract, salt and butter. Stir one-third of egg whites into yolk mixture. Fold in remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven until centre of cake is firm when touched, 50 to 55 min. Loosely tent foil over pan after 30 min to prevent over-browning. Transfer cake to a rack to cool for 10 min. Run a knife around the edges of cake, then remove the side band, base and parchment. Gently transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Whip cream with 1 tbsp sugar in a medium bowl until thick, about 4 min. Top cake with cream and peach slices. Slice into wedges.
The easiest way to peel peaches
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7 g,
- 32 g,
- 21 g,
- 3 g,
- 134 mg.