Updated Oct 15, 2015Chatelaine
- PREPARE a 20 x 30-cm/8 x 12-inch baking pan, greased and lined with buttered baking parchment.
- PREHEAT the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- TIP the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet, drizzled with 30 g/2 tablespoons of the maple syrup. Toast the nuts on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 6–8 minutes until crisp and starting to caramelize. Remove from the oven and set aside for 3–4 minutes to cool, then roughly chop.
- MELT the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan or pot of simmering water. Stir until smooth, remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly for 2–3 minutes.
- MIX the sugar and remaining maple syrup into the melted chocolate mixture and stir until silky smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix again to combine, taking care not to over beat the mixture.
- SIFT in the flour and fold in, using either a rubber spatula or large metal spoon. Stir through half of the caramelized pecans, then pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Scatter with the remaining caramelized pecans.
- BAKE on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the top has a light crust but the middle is still soft to the touch. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool before cutting into squares to serve. The brownies will keep in an airtight container for up to 1 week
Recipe from Chocolate at Home by Will Torrent.