Maple crème brûlée
Maple creme brulee recipe
Photo by Roberto Caruso
This creamy maple crème brûlée, with a golden, caramelized shell, is a show-stopping dessert.
2 1/2 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 300F. Set a 2-L baking dish in a roasting pan large enough to hold it. Boil a kettle of water.
- HEAT cream in a medium saucepan set over medium, until it starts to simmer, 5 to 8 min. Remove from heat.
- WRAP a damp kitchen towel around the bottom of a medium bowl. Add yolks and maple sugar. Whisk until combined. Gradually add hot cream to yolk mixture, constantly whisking, until smooth, about 2 min. Whisk in maple syrup. Pour mixture into baking dish. Pour hot water from kettle down the side of roasting pan until it comes halfway up the dish.
- BAKE in centre of oven until custard is set but centre is jiggly, 50 to 60 min. Transfer dish to a rack and let cool slightly, 10 min. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- SPRINKLE granulated sugar evenly over chilled crème brûlée. Caramelize sugar with a kitchen torch until melted and golden.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 28 g,
- 30 g,
- 34 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12
Substitution tip: Maple sugar is available in specialty shops. Or use granulated sugar instead.
Another idea: Try our three-ingredient maple ice cream.