1 1/2 tsp
4 1/2 cups
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line bottom of a metal 8 x 8-in. cake pan with parchment.
- STIR flour with baking powder in a medium bowl. Beat egg whites in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high, until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 3 to 5 min. Using same beaters (no need to wash), beat yolks with remaining 3/4 cup sugar in a large bowl until pale and thick, 1 to 2 min. Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually beat in flour mixture, then 1/3 cup milk and vanilla, until smooth.
- STIR a third of egg whites into yolk mixture, using a rubber spatula, then carefully fold in remaining egg whites until no streaks remain. Pour into prepared pan.
- BAKE in centre of oven until springy and a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean, 33 to 35 min. Cool completely on a rack, about 1 hour.
- REMOVE cooled cake from pan and discard parchment. Cut cake into 16 cubes. Freeze cake cubes for 15 min.
- WHISK icing sugar with cocoa and 3/4 cup milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Divide coconut into 2 shallow dishes. Set 1 dish aside. Dip a cake cube in chocolate, coating all sides. Let excess chocolate drip off. Dip into coconut, coating all sides. Place on a wire rack. Continue with remaining cubes, switching to second dish of coconut halfway through. Refrigerate until dry to the touch, about 15 min. Store in a sealed container up to 3 days.
How to fold baking ingredients
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 58 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,
- 63 mg.
1. Prepare pan and ingredients.
2. Beat egg whites.
3. Fold whites into yolk mixture.
4. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Cut cake into 16 cubes.
6. Dip in chocolate, then coconut.