Josée di Stasio’s Chocolate-fig “sausage”
This article has not been rated yet.
9 × 2-in. (23 × 5-cm) sausage or 18 pieces
* PLUS Baking Time: 8 minutes, Refrigeration Time: 180 minutes
“To give the appearance of a meat sausage, wrap in butcher’s paper and tie with butcher’s string. Slice and serve with clementines as a light dessert.” This recipe has not been tested by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen.
, or shelled pistachios
, finely chopped
1 to 1 1/2 cups
2 to 4 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Place almonds on a baking sheet and toast until lightly golden, 8 to 10 min (4 to 5 min if using pistachios). Let cool, then coarsely chop.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on medium, stirring often, 2 to 3 min. Or place chocolate in top of a double boiler along with butter. Stir over low heat until melted.
- In a large bowl, stir almonds with cereal, figs and melted chocolate.
- Place on a large piece of plastic wrap and form into a log measuring about 9 × 2 in. (23 × 5 cm).
- Wrap and very firmly press mixture together, so that “sausage” will hold together when you slice it. Refrigerate 3 to 4 hours.
- Place icing sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Unwrap “sausage” and place in bag. Gently shake until sausage is well coated. Tie the sausage with butcher’s string as you would for a roast. To serve, place on a wooden cutting board and cut into ½-in. (1-cm) slices. Wrapped in plastic and refrigerated, it will keep well up to 2 weeks.