Gluten-free shortbreadBy Chatelaine
- 2 100-g pkgs ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- WHISK ground almonds with rice flour, cornstarch, ½ cup icing sugar, lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Knead in butter and vanilla until dough forms.
- SCOOP dough and roll into 1-in. balls, then arrange on prepared sheets, 1 in. apart. Press down on cookies lightly with a fork.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching and rotating sheets halfway through, until cookie edges crack, 17 to 20 min. Dust cooled cookies with 2 tbsp icing sugar.