Chocolate and ginger cookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 10 min
This soft, gingery cookie is packed with gooey chocolate chunks and chewy candied ginger. The mix is a fun gift for friends and neighbours with kids.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour , divided
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate , about 112 g
To bake cookies, you'll need:
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup fancy molasses
- WASH and dry a 1-L jar with lid.
- DIVIDE flour between 2 medium bowls. Stir baking soda and salt into the first bowl. Stir ground ginger, cinnamon and cloves into the second bowl.
- SPOON flour mixture from first bowl carefully into jar to create the first layer. Spoon in brown sugar. Carefully spoon
in flour-spice mixture from second bowl. Scatter candied ginger over top, then chopped chocolate. Wrap a piece of plastic wrap over the mouth of the jar. Seal the jar and tie with ribbon.
- ATTACH a recipe with the following baking directions: Pour contents of jar into a large bowl. Add 1 egg, 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature, and 1/4 cup fancy molasses. Beat, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until combined. Refrigerate until dough is firm enough to roll, about 20 min. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray 2 baking sheets with oil. Roll dough into 1-in. balls. Arrange on prepared sheets 2 in. apart. Bake each sheet in centre of oven until cookies are golden, 10 to 12 min. Remove to a rack to cool completely. Store ginger cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
How to make ginger-molasses stack cookies
Nutrition (per cookie)
- 1 g,
- 13 g,
- 4 g,
- 67 mg.