Kitchen Tip: Avoid blueberry streaks in the cake batter by measuring blueberries, then returning to freezer until needed. Tossing blueberries in flour just before adding to batter helps prevent discoloration too.
Blueberry crumb cakeBy Chatelaine
1 h 40 min
When you bake this sugar-dusted confection, any time is the perfect time for a cup of tea and a slice of cake.
- 3/4 cup cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 1/2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , cubed, slightly softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1 tsp cake-and-pastry flour
- 2 tsp icing sugar , (optional)
- TOPPING: Stir flour, both sugars and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in butter with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- BATTER: Preheat oven to 350F and spray bottom of a 9-in. springform pan with oil, then line with parchment.
- BEAT flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment until combined. Gradually add butter until fine crumbs form, 1 min. Add egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and sour cream to mixture and beat on low until just combined. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl with a spatula until mixture is evenly combined.
- TOSS blueberries with 1 tsp flour in a small bowl to coat. Add to batter and quickly stir 2 or 3 times. Scrape into prepared pan, smooth top and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake until crumbs are golden and tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean, about 40 min. Let cool in pan on rack for 15 min. Release pan, remove collar and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar.
Chatelaine Quickies: Blueberry pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 39 g,
- 14 g,
- 1 g,
- 222 mg.