Earl Grey shortbread cookiesBy Chatelaine
Introduce your favourite tea flavour to a trusty shortbread recipe.
- 2 tbsp Earl Grey tea , finely ground (about 8 tea bags)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- FINELY grind Earl Grey tea in a coffee grinder. Stir flour with ground tea leaves and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl, using a wooden spoon, until smooth, 1 min. Gradually stir in half of flour mixture, until just combined. Add remaining flour mixture, kneading with your hands, until dough forms a ball.
- ROLL out on a floured counter until 1/4 in. thick. Cut out cookies with various shapes of cookie cutters. Arrange on prepared sheets, 2 in. apart. Cookies will spread as they bake.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until edges are just golden, 12 to 15 min. Leave on sheet for 5 min, then transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely. Cookies will keep well in an airtight container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.