Double maple doughnutsBy Chatelaine
14, plus 14 doughnut holes
We partnered with President's Choice to give this iconic Canadian sweet treat a modern makeover.
- 8 g active dry yeast , (2 tsp)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar , divided
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp PC Unsalted Country Churned butter , cubed and softened
- vegetable oil , for frying
- 2 1/4 cups icing sugar , sifted
- 2/3 cup PC 100% Pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp 35% cream
- 1 1/2 cups chopped PC Maple & Bacon Popcorn
- STIR yeast, 1 tsp sugar and milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand for 10 min. Beat in eggs, remaining sugar and salt with dough hook on medium for 1 min. Add flour and beat dough until smooth, 5 min. Add butter, mixing for 3 min.
- FORM into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- ROLL out dough on a floured surface to ½-in. thickness. Cut out 14 rounds with a 3-in. cutter, then cut out holes in centre of rounds with a 1-in. cutter. Re-roll scraps once, letting dough rest before cutting. Place doughnuts and doughnut holes on 2 floured baking sheets, 2 in. apart. Let rise, uncovered, for 30 min.
- CLIP a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a large pot and heat 1 ½ in. of oil over medium until temp reaches 350F. Fry doughnuts, 2 at a time, flipping halfway, until golden, 2 min. Drain on a rack. Fry doughnut holes, 1 min.
- FOR GLAZE: whisk icing sugar, maple syrup and cream until smooth. Dip doughnuts twice in glaze. Place on a rack and sprinkle with popcorn.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 41 g,
- 7 g,
- 1 g,
- 108 mg.
- Good source of