Decadent mocha eclairsBy Chatelaine
These French-patisserie-style choux pastries, filled with dreamy mocha cream, are dessert and coffee rolled into one.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp 35% cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips , melted
- 1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder , optional
- POSITION a rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- COMBINE water with butter and salt in a medium saucepan and set over medium. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour all at once, then beat briskly until mixture comes away from sides of pan. Return to heat and continue stirring, 1 min. Cool for 5 min. Using same wooden spoon, stir in 1 egg until fully combined. Stir in remaining egg until dough is thick and shiny. Scrape into a resealable plastic bag. Snip off a corner of bag to create a 1-in. hole. Pipe 10 3-in.-long strips, about 2 in. apart, onto prepared sheet. (Eclairs will puff up as they bake.)
- BAKE in lower third of oven until rolls are puffy, about 15 min. Without opening the oven door, reduce heat to 250F and continue baking until rolls are golden, 8 to 12 more min. Remove from oven and immediately poke 4 holes into the side of each roll, using a toothpick, to release any steam inside. Cool on a rack.
- BEAT mascarpone, with an electric mixer on medium-high, with sugar and instant espresso in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup cream until mixture is stiff and smooth. Microwave 1/3 cup chocolate chips with 2 tbsp cream in a small bowl on high, 1 min. Stir until completely melted. Gently fold into mascarpone cream once or twice until swirls appear. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip. Slice eclairs in half horizontally. Pipe espresso cream swirls onto bottom halves of eclairs, then sandwich top halves over cream. Spoon 1/4 cup melted chocolate and sifted cocoa powder over eclairs.
How to fill a piping bag
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 16 g,
- 24 g,
- 1 g,
- 64 mg.
- Good source of
- Vitamin A