Classic Ice Cream SandwichBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
4 hrs 10 min
Dip the edges into assorted sprinkles, chopped nuts or coconut just before serving.
- 84 g unsweetened chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 L ice cream , in rectangular box, such as Chapman's
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F. Spray a rimmed baking sheet, measuring about 11×17 in., with oil, then line with parchment.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a large saucepan set over medium-low. Stir until chocolate is melted, about 3 min. Remove from heat.
- Stir sugar, salt and vanilla into warm chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended. Whisk in flour just until combined. Scrape onto prepared sheet. Spread batter over parchment using an offset spatula to create a smooth, even, very thin layer. Bake until brownie appears shiny and is firm but slightly undercooked, about 8 min. Cool brownie on pan, about 30 min. Run a knife along edges of pan.
- Cut brownie in half, making two long rectangles. Place pan in the freezer for 5 min. Remove from freezer. Gently lift brownie and, using scissors, cut parchment, separating rectangles.
- Place 1 brownie top-side down on a cutting board. Peel off parchment. Open box of ice cream. Cut 1-in.-thick slices (about 5 slices) and arrange on top of brownie on board until completely covered. Peel parchment from bottom of remaining brownie. Place, top-side up, over ice cream. Pat down firmly. With a sharp knife, score top of brownie into 16 rectangular pieces (do not cut all the way through). Freeze until very firm, at least 3 hrs.
- Remove from freezer and, using a serrated knife, cut into 16 sandwiches, using the scored lines as a guide. Serve immediately, or individually wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap. Sandwiches will keep well in the freezer for up to 1 month.