Updated Jan 18, 2019Chatelaine
- POSITION oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 350F. Have an ungreased 9-in. tube pan with a removable bottom ready for batter.
- BEAT egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer at medium-low, until frothy, 2 min. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Increase speed to medium. Beat in sugar 1 tbsp at a time, until whites are glossy and stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a large bowl.
- SIFT one-third of flour over meringue and gently fold together, using a spatula. Repeat 2 more times with remaining flour, folding to incorporate flour completely.
- SPOON batter into pan and run a knife through to remove air pockets. Smooth top with back of spoon.
- BAKE until angel food cake springs back when lightly touched and cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 35 to 40 min. Remove from oven. Turn pan upside down and rest on the neck of a wine bottle or other small-neck bottle inserted in the centre hole of the pan. Let cake cool completely upside down in pan, 2 hr.
- RUN a paring knife around inner and outer edges to remove cake from pan. Place on a cake platter, bottom-side up. To slice, use a serrated knife to avoid crushing the cake. Angel food cake will keep well, at room temperature, for up to 3 days. (Don’t refrigerate.)
Angel Food Cake Kitchen Tips
- To bring cold egg whites to room temperature, place egg whites in a metal bowl and dip bottom of bowl in warm water. Gently stir whites until no longer cold.
- Top with lightly sweetened whipped cream and mixed berries or sliced fruit.
Angel Food Cake Gear Tip
A tube pan is a tall, round pan with a hole in the centre. The sloped sides and shape of the pan give the cake structure and a beautiful look.
Mocha Melt Topping
Microwave 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips with 1/4 cup 35% cream at medium for about 2 min. Stir until melted. Stir in 3 tbsp coffee liqueur. Drizzle over cake slices. Garnish with fresh berries.
NutritionCalories 155, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 34 g, Sodium 148 mg.
Weekend baking: Easy chocolate cake