Cider gelée candiesBy Chatelaine
- 4 pouches powdered gelatin , (28-g packets)
- 1 1/4 cups hard apple cider , divided
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar , divided
- 1 cup apple jelly , (250-mL jar)
- green food colouring , (optional)
- SPRAY bottom and sides of an 8-in. square baking pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment. Sprinkle gelatin over ¾ cup of the cider in a medium bowl. Let stand for 5 min.
- BOIL remaining ½ cup cider and 1 cup of the sugar in a saucepan over medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally until sugar is dissolved, about 5 min. Whisk in jelly and return to a boil, cooking until syrupy, about 2 min. Add gelatin mixture, whisking until dissolved. Skim foam from top using a spoon. Dip end of toothpick into food colouring paste and swirl around cider mixture until light green. Pour through a fine sieve into prepared pan and let cool on rack for 20 min. Refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- PLACE remaining ½ cup sugar in a shallow dish. Cut gelée into 64 1-in. squares (8 × 8 rows). Toss with sugar an hour before serving. Discard unused sugar. Uncoated gelées will keep well between layers of parchment in a covered container, refrigerated, for up to 1 week. Shopping Tip: For the gelées, try a dry cider, which has a bright, puckery apple flavour.
Chatelaine Quickies: Sweet and salty caramel apples
Nutrition (per piece)
- 7 g,
- 3 mg.