Updated Nov 23, 2018Chatelaine
- PULSE hazelnuts in food processor until finely ground. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and cloves and pulse until just combined.
- BEAT butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium, scraping sides and bottom of bowl until fluffy, about 3 min. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Stir in flour mixture until just combined.
- DIVIDE in half and wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten into discs and refrigerate until firm, 1 hr.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Roll 1 dough disc on a lightly floured surface to ¼-in. thickness. Cut out circles using a 3-in. round fluted cookie cutter, rerolling scraps and refrigerating as needed. Then, using a 1-in. round fluted cutter or the end of a large piping tip, cut out centres of half of the circles. Place all circles 1 in. apart on prepared sheets and chill for 15 min.
- BAKE until golden brown, 10 to 12 min. Let cool for 5 min, then transfer to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
- FLIP solid cookies over and spread 2 tsp jam on each. Dust tops of remaining cookies with icing sugar and set on top of jam-covered cookies.
Kitchen Tip: To roast hazelnuts, bake at 325F on a rimmed baking sheet until brown with skin blistered, 13 to 15 min. Let cool. Rub with both hands to remove skin.
NutritionCalories 295, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 33 g, Fat 17 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 92 mg.
How to roll cookie dough