Kitchen Tip: Store in a covered container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
Chocolate-covered cherry almond cookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 40 min
40 to 42 cookies
- 42 small maraschino cherries
- 1 100-g pkg ground almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 170 g finely chopped milk or white chocolate
- 50 g finely chopped cacao butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red gel food colouring , (optional)
- sliced almonds , (optional)
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- DRAIN and rinse maraschino cherries in a sieve. Dry well with paper towels; set aside.
- STIR ground almonds, flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- USING an electric mixer on medium, beat butter with sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, 1 to 2 min. Beat in egg yolk and almond extract, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Gradually beat in almond mixture until just combined.
- SCOOP 2 tsp portions and roll each into a ball. (Dough will be slightly sticky.) Flatten each ball on your palm, then wrap around 1 cherry. Roll into balls. Arrange on prepared sheets. Refrigerate until dough is firm, about 15 min.
- BAKE until cookies are golden, 20 to 22 min. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- SET rack with cookies on a baking sheet. Temper chocolate and cacao butter. (If using white chocolate, stir in red food colouring until desired shade of pink.)
- SPOON chocolate over cookies to coat completely, then top with 1 sliced almond, if desired. Let stand for 5 min, then use a spatula or palette knife to transfer cookies to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Let stand until chocolate is firm, about 30 min.
Chatelaine Quickies: Skillet chocolate chip cookie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 8 g,
- 8 g,
- 12 mg.