Updated Dec 5, 2018Chatelaine
small maraschino cherries
1 100-g pkg
unsalted butter, softened
finely chopped milk or white chocolate
finely chopped cacao butter
1/4 to 1/2 tsp
red gel food colouring, (optional)
sliced almonds, (optional)
- POSITION rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 300F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- DRAIN and rinse maraschino cherries in a sieve. Dry well with paper towels; set aside.
- STIR ground almonds, flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- USING an electric mixer on medium, beat butter with sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, 1 to 2 min. Beat in egg yolk and almond extract, scraping down side of bowl as needed. Gradually beat in almond mixture until just combined.
- SCOOP 2 tsp portions and roll each into a ball. (Dough will be slightly sticky.) Flatten each ball on your palm, then wrap around 1 cherry. Roll into balls. Arrange on prepared sheets. Refrigerate until dough is firm, about 15 min.
- BAKE until cookies are golden, 20 to 22 min. Transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely.
- SET rack with cookies on a baking sheet. Temper chocolate and cacao butter. (If using white chocolate, stir in red food colouring until desired shade of pink.)
- SPOON chocolate over cookies to coat completely, then top with 1 sliced almond, if desired. Let stand for 5 min, then use a spatula or palette knife to transfer cookies to a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Let stand until chocolate is firm, about 30 min.
Kitchen Tip: Store in a covered container up to 1 week, or freeze up to 1 month.
NutritionCalories 94, Protein 1 g, Carbohydrates 8 g, Fat 8 g, Sodium 12 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Skillet chocolate chip cookie