Box-of-Chocolates BrowniesBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Faster than anything requiring a pastry crust, and perfect for socially distanced porch drop-offs, this recipe for chocolate brownies is truly bar none.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , (140 g)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , (20 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 170 g semi-sweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar , (210 g)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 16 pieces assorted chocolates , such as caramel- or cream-filled
- 2 tbsp heart-shaped sprinkles , (optional)
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 325F. Line a 9 × 9-in. square baking dish with parchment, leaving overhang on all sides.
- Stir flour with cocoa and salt in a small bowl. Combine chocolate with butter in a medium bowl. Microwave on medium until almost melted, stirring halfway through, 1 min. Stir until smooth.
- Whisk eggs with sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Scrape in warm chocolate mixture, then stir until combined. Gradually stir in flour mixture, just until almost mixed. (Overmixing toughens brownies.) Spread half of the batter in prepared dish. Arrange chocolate pieces on top and push down into batter. Pour remaining batter overtop to cover chocolate pieces, then smooth surface. Scatter sprinkles overtop, if desired.
- Bake until edges are firm and middle is set, 35 to 45 min. Transfer pan to a rack and cool completely, about 2 hr. Cut into 16 squares. Brownies can be refrigerated in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 32 g,
- 13 g,
- 2 g,
- 65 mg.