Chocolate-bourbon pecan pieBy Chatelaine
3 hrs 10 min
This pie can be made a day in advance to save time. Just be sure to keep it chilled overnight.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 to 4 tbsp ice-cold water
- 1 egg , beaten
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup golden corn syrup
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- WHIRL flour with 1 1/2 tsp sugar and 3/4 tsp salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter. Pulse until finely crumbled. With machine running, add water through the spout, 1 tbsp at a time, and continue whirling until dough comes together, 30 sec. Roll one third of pastry and form into a square. Form remaining pastry into a disc. Wrap each with plastic and refrigerate for 30 min.
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 375F.
- REMOVE chilled pastry from refrigerator. Roll out larger pastry piece on a lightly floured surface into a 12-in.-wide circle. Gently fold pastry in half and lift into a 9-in. pie plate. Unfold and press dough over bottom and up sides of plate, leaving a 1/2-in. overhang. Carefully trim off edges. Refrigerate.
- ROLL out smaller pastry piece on a lightly floured surface into a 12 × 6-in. rectangle. Cutting along the long side, with a ruler as a guide, cut off 12 1/4-in.-wide strips. Discard remaining dough. Working with 3 strips at a time, braid the dough on a floured surface. (You will need about 36 in. of braids to line a 9-in. pie.) Brush beaten egg over edges of pie crust. Arrange braids over edges, pressing gently to stick and trimming to fit. Brush with beaten egg.
- WHISK 4 eggs in a medium bowl. Whisk in corn syrup, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted butter, bourbon, vanilla and 1/8 tsp salt until combined. Scatter pecans and chocolate chips on the bottom of the pie crust. Pour filling evenly overtop.
- BAKE in bottom third of oven, until edge of filling has set and centre is slightly jiggly, 55 min to 1 hour. Cover with foil for the last 10 min, if browning too quickly. Transfer to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour.
Chatelaine Quickies: Pecan-cranberry granola
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 66 g,
- 33 g,
- 2 g,
- 278 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12