Updated Jan 23, 2015Chatelaine
unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups
pitted and halved fresh cherries
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Lightly oil or spray an 8 × 8-in. baking pan.
- STIR 2 cups flour with baking powder, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT 3/4 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well and scraping sides of bowl. Beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Reduce speed and beat in one-third of flour mixture, then half of buttermilk. Repeat additions, ending with flour mixture. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cherries. Scrape batter into pan, smoothing top.
- COMBINE 1/3 cup flour with 1/4 cup brown sugar and pecans in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup butter and work in, using your fingers, until crumbly. Sprinkle over evenly batter, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup cherries.
- BAKE in centre of oven until a tester comes out clean, 50 to 55 min. Cool in pan on rack for 10 min, then turn out onto rack to cool completely. Cake will keep well, at room temperature in a covered container, up to 2 days.
NutritionCalories 478, Protein 8 g, Carbohydrates 62 g, Fat 23 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 271 mg. Excellent source of Folate
We tested this cake using dried cherries, and it was great. To substitute dried cherries for fresh, use 3/4 cup in the batter and 1/4 cup on top. Continue with recipe.