Caramel-pecan sticky buns
This easy brunch treat - crammed with brown sugar and pecans - gives new meaning to the phrase "sticky fingers"
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp quick-rise instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup hot milk , 120 to 130F
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 egg , at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , at room remperature
- WHISK 1 cup flour with 1/4 cup granulated sugar, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in milk, 1/3 cup hot water, 2 tbsp butter and egg. Using a wooden spoon, stir in 1 3/4 cups flour and continue stirring until dough starts to come together. Knead dough in bowl until smooth and not sticky, adding remaining flour as needed, 3 to 4 min. Cover loosely with a damp kitchen towel and let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Melt 1/4 cup butter with 1/3 cup brown sugar, corn syrup and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium. Cook until bubbly, 2 to 3 min. Pour into a 9 × 13-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans.
- COMBINE 1/2 cup brown sugar with 1/4 cup butter in a medium bowl. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-in. square. Spread brown sugar mixture over dough right to the edges. Tightly roll dough in jelly roll fashion. Slice into 12 rounds, about 1 in. thick. Lay rounds cut-side down in prepared baking dish. Spray tops lightly with oil.
- BAKE in centre of oven until buns are deep golden, about 25 min. Cover with foil for the last 10 min if browning too quickly. Transfer to a rack and let stand 5 min. Cover dish with a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil. Carefully flip buns onto sheet. Serve warm.
Bake sticky buns and cool completely. Wrap in foil and freeze. Reheat at 350F for 20 to 30 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 47 g,
- 16 g,
- 2 g,
- 213 mg.