Candied gingerBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 40 min
Sweet snacks with incredible flavour. Everyone will want to dig in when you open up a jar of these homemade treats.
- 1 kg ginger , peeled and cut into 1/2-in. cubes (about 6 cups)
- 6 cups water
- 4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- COVER ginger with 6 cups water in a large pot. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until ginger is tender-crisp, about 1 hour. Strain ginger through a sieve, reserving 2 cups cooking liquid.
- RETURN ginger to pot. Stir in granulated sugar and reserved cooking liquid. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid turns syrupy and ginger is glossy and soft, about 1 more hour. Strain ginger through sieve and keep ginger syrup in a Mason jar, refrigerated, for another use.
- LINE 2 large baking sheets with paper towels. Arrange ginger in 1 layer on towels. Let stand until ginger is dry to the touch, about 24 hours. Transfer paper towels with ginger to counter.
- POUR superfine sugar into a medium bowl. Working in batches, add ginger
to sugar and toss until completely coated. Discard paper towels. Arrange sugared ginger in 1 layer on same
baking sheets. Repeat with remaining ginger and sugar. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
- TRANSFER candied ginger to an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. For best results, leave sugared ginger to dry on a baking sheet for up to 2 days before storing in jars.
Easiest way to peel ginger
Nutrition (per ¼ cup)
- 1 g,
- 45 g,
- 1 g,
- 7 mg.