Brown bread ice creamBy Chatelaine
This ice cream recipe turns leftover brown bread into a sweet and surprising after-dinner treat.
- 1 1/2 cups cubed brown bread , about a quarter of an Irish brown bread loaf (recipe link below)
- 2 cups 35% cream
- 300-mL can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tbsp molasses
- WHIRL bread in a food processor until finely crumbled. Scrape into a large non-stick frying pan set over medium. Cook, stirring constantly, until crumbs are toasted and dry, 8 to 9 min. Transfer to a plate and cool slightly, 5 min.
- BEAT cream, using an electric mixer on medium, until soft peaks form, 2 to 4 min. Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until just combined. Mixture should be smooth and fluffy. Beat in molasses and cooled bread crumbs until combined. Scrape mixture into a container with a tight-fitting lid. Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
- Kitchen Tip: For best results, use our recipe for Irish brown bread, found here.
How to make 3-ingredient chocolate ice cream
Nutrition (per ¼ cup)
- 2 g,
- 12 g,
- 7 g,
- 45 mg.