Tip: This brownie isn’t just rich, gooey and incredibly chocolatey, it’s also lower in fat than a traditional brownie and really high in fibre (a whopping 3 g per square!). To gild these gluten-free brownies, turn them into s’mores and bring one of summer’s favourite tastes into a cold winter’s day.
Brilliant gluten-free browniesBy Chatelaine
Dark and fudgy brownies are always a hit — plus, they’re easier to make and healthier than trendy cake pops, cronuts or cupcakes.
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 100-g pkgs ground almonds , about 2 cups
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder , preferably Fry's
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp vanilla
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 × 8-in. pan with parchment, letting it hang over the edges of pan.
- WHISK sugar with almonds, cocoa and salt in a large bowl. Stir in egg whites and vanilla. Batter will be thick. Scrape into prepared pan. Smooth top.
- BAKE in centre of oven until top of brownie is shiny and crispy and a cake tester inserted in centre comes out almost clean, 40 to 45 min. Run a knife around sides of pan. Use parchment to lift brownie out and let cool completely on a rack.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 23 g,
- 7 g,
- 3 g,
- 32 mg.