Blueberry hand pies
* PLUS 35 min chilling time
Photo, Erik Putz.
The best thing about hand pies is that you don’t have to share. Personal and portable, these golden, flaky pastries are the perfect vehicle for seasonal fruit.
, (recipe link below)
, plus 1 tsp water for egg wash
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1⁄4-in. thickness. Cut into 6 6×4-in. rectangles, rerolling dough once. Refrigerate on prepared sheet until firm, about 15 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F.
- FILLING: Toss blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice, cornstarch and salt in a bowl. Scoop 2 heaping tbsp of blueberry mixture onto centre of short end of each rectangle.
- WHISK egg and 1 tsp water in a bowl for egg wash and brush edges. Fold dough over the filling so the 2 ends meet, pressing to seal. Crimp 3 edges with a fork, then refrigerate on prepared sheet for 20 min.
- CUT small slashes in top of each pie. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until filling is bubbly and tops are golden brown, about 20 min. Let cool on rack.
Chatelaine Quickies: Blueberry pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 27 g,
- 16 g,
- 1 g,
- 261 mg.