Updated Nov 29, 2016Chatelaine
- LINE 2 BAKING SHEETS with parchment paper. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating until well incorporated. Add molasses and mix on low speed until combined. Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt, mixing on low speed just until combined.
- TAKE 2 TABLESPOONS of dough and roll into a ball. Place 3 tablespoons sugar on a flat plate and roll dough ball into the sugar. Place ball on prepared baking sheet and continue with remaining dough. Cover both baking sheets and refrigerate for 1 hour before baking.
- PREHEAT OVEN to 350F. Remove baking sheets from refrigerator and using the bottom of a glass, flatten each dough ball slightly. Bake cookies 8–10 minutes, until golden around the edges. Let cookies cool completely before filling.
- FOR THE FILLING, using an electric mixer, cream butter, icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest on medium speed until a spreadable consistency.
- TO ASSEMBLE cookie sandwiches, using a small spoon, place filling in the center of a cookie bottom. Gently press another cookie bottom on top until filling spreads.
Excerpted from Lick Your Plate: A Lip-Smackin’ Book for Every Home Cook, by Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat © 2016 PinkySwear Press Inc. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada Limited a Penguin Random House Company. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
How to cream butter and sugar