Banana Coconut Cream Filling
, or sugar
- Make the Coconut Crust: Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9-in. pie plate with cooking spray.
- Combine the shredded coconut, coconut milk, coconut oil, vanilla and salt in a food processor and process for about 30 sec, until the coconut starts to stick together. Using the back of a large spoon, evenly spread the coconut mixture in the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake until the crust is golden brown along the edges, 13 to 15 min, rotating halfway through. Set aside to cool completely.
- Make the Banana Coconut Cream Filling: In a medium, heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the cornstarch with ½ cup of the coconut milk; whisk until no lumps remain. Add the remaining 2 ½ cups coconut milk and maple syrup while whisking. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly with the whisk. Boil for 1 min (to cook the starch and thicken the mixture), then whisk in the vanilla and remove from the heat.
- Pour the filling into the crust and let it cool, uncovered (it will slightly dry on the top), 20 to 30 min. Once cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hr, or until firm.
- To serve, top with the banana slices and coconut whipped topping. Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days. The bananas will turn brown if you are storing the pie, so we recommend slicing fresh bananas to top the pie just before serving.
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.