Aug 2, 2017Chatelaine
sour cream pastry, (recipe link below)
egg, plus 1 tsp water for egg wash
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1⁄4-in. thickness. Cut 12 rounds using a 4-in. round cutter, rerolling dough once. Refrigerate on prepared sheet until firm, about 15 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F.
- FILLING: Combine apples, sugar, water, salt and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium-high. Cook until juices are reduced by half and apples are soft but not falling apart, 8 to 9 min. Stir in butter and transfer to a plate to cool. Scoop 2 heaping tbsp of apple mixture onto centre of each round of dough.
- WHISK egg and 1 tsp water in a bowl for egg wash and brush edges. Place another round over the filling, pressing to seal. Crimp edges with a fork, then refrigerate on prepared sheet for 20 min.
- CUT a small X in top of each pie. Brush with remaining egg wash. Bake until filling is bubbly and tops are golden brown, 18 to 20 min. Let cool on rack for 15 min.
- STIR icing sugar and 2 tsp water in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over pies using a spoon.
NutritionCalories 332, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 35 g, Fat 19 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 303 mg.
Chatelaine Quickies: Blueberry pie