Apple hand pies
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS 35 min chilling time
Photo, Erik Putz.
The best thing about hand pies is that you don’t have to share. Personal and portable, these golden, flaky pastries are the perfect vehicle for seasonal fruit.
, (recipe link below)
, plus 1 tsp water for egg wash
peeled Golden Delicious
, cut into 1/4-in. cubes
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a scant 1⁄4-in. thickness. Cut 12 rounds using a 4-in. round cutter, rerolling dough once. Refrigerate on prepared sheet until firm, about 15 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F.
- FILLING: Combine apples, sugar, water, salt and nutmeg in a small saucepan over medium-high. Cook until juices are reduced by half and apples are soft but not falling apart, 8 to 9 min. Stir in butter and transfer to a plate to cool. Scoop 2 heaping tbsp of apple mixture onto centre of each round of dough.
- WHISK egg and 1 tsp water in a bowl for egg wash and brush edges. Place another round over the filling, pressing to seal. Crimp edges with a fork, then refrigerate on prepared sheet for 20 min.
- CUT a small X in top of each pie. Brush with remaining egg wash. Bake until filling is bubbly and tops are golden brown, 18 to 20 min. Let cool on rack for 15 min.
- STIR icing sugar and 2 tsp water in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle glaze over pies using a spoon.
Chatelaine Quickies: Blueberry pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 35 g,
- 19 g,
- 1 g,
- 303 mg.