Crave Cupcakes’ Mint Chip CookiesBy Chatelaine
“Our dark chocolate cookie is an original recipe we started baking at our first Crave location 17 years ago. This version has a hint of mint and is decorated with a fun green chocolate drizzle and mini chocolate chips. For the classic dark chocolate cookie found in our stores, omit the mint extract.” —Carolyne Jackson, co-founder, Calgary
- 1 cup all-purpose flour , (120 g)
- 1 cup cocoa powder , (80 g), sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , (96 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 to 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup white chocolate chips , melted
- green gel food colouring
- 1/3 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Cookies: Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 325F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk flour with cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-low, until fluffy, 2 to 5 min. Beat in sugars. Beat until very pale and fluffy, 10 to 12 min. Reduce speed to low. Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extract.
- Beat in flour mixture until combined. Scoop heaping 1-tbsp portions of dough, roll into balls and arrange 2 in. apart on prepared sheets. Press down and flatten cookies slightly.
- Bake until cookies are no longer shiny, 12 to 13 min. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely, about 20 min.
- Topping: Dip the tip of a toothpick into food colouring, then dip into melted white chocolate in a small bowl. Stir to combine until a light green colour forms. Scrape chocolate into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Drizzle chocolate over cooled cookies on rack and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let stand overnight until chocolate is firm. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.