Lacy gingersnapsBy Chatelaine
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. Spray the handles of 2 thick long-handled wooden spoons with oil. Set aside.
- Melt butter with honey, sugar, ginger and salt in a small saucepan set over medium-low. Stir constantly until sugar dissolves, 5 to 6 min. Remove from heat. Stir in flour until smooth.
- Drop 6 level teaspoons of batter 3 in. apart onto each prepared sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven until cookies are bubbly and edges and centres have turned golden, 3 to 4 min. If cookies are too light in colour, continue baking and checking at 30-sec intervals until golden. Transfer sheet to a rack. Let cookies cool just until they are slightly firm but are still pliable, about 1 min. Lift 3 cookies, 1 at a time, with a metal spatula and drape over a prepared wooden-spoon handle and carefully curl into a cigar shape. (See next page for photo instructions.) Repeat with remaining cookies and second wooden spoon. Leave on handle until cookies are firm. Then slide off and set on rack, seam-side down, to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter. Cookies will keep well, stored in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 days. (Baking Tip: If baked cookies harden before you can roll them, return cookies to the oven for a few seconds to soften.)