Chai spice biscottiBy Chatelaine
30 to 35 cookies
Our biscotti recipe can be anything (and everything) you want it to be! Simple swaps and extra touches to our master cranberry and pistachio recipe mean everyone gets to have their favourite.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp chai spice , see below
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
For chai spice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 whole cloves
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tsp chai spice
- 2 tsp water
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- STIR flour with ground chai spice, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter with sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Gather dough together and divide in half on prepared sheet. Shape each portion into a 2-in.-wide and 3/4-in.-high log. Place logs 3 in. apart, as they will spread.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are almost firm but still golden, 30 to 35 min. Remove from oven and let stand until loaves are cool enough to touch, about 10 min. Cut each diagonally into 1/2-in. slices. Place a rack on baking sheet. Arrange sliced biscotti on rack, cut-side down. Continue baking until very firm and golden brown, 20 to 30 more min.
- STIR icing sugar with ground chai spice and water until smooth. Drizzle over tops of cooled biscotti. Let stand until icing is firm.
- STORE in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
- Chai spice: Combine 2 tsp ground ginger with 1 tsp each black peppercorns, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg and 2 whole cloves in a spice grinder. Grind well.