Updated Mar 10, 2017Chatelaine
2 1/4 cups
chai spice, see below
unsalted butter, at room temperature
For chai spice
ground black peppercorns
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- STIR flour with ground chai spice, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- BEAT butter with sugar in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Gather dough together and divide in half on prepared sheet. Shape each portion into a 2-in.-wide and 3/4-in.-high log. Place logs 3 in. apart, as they will spread.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are almost firm but still golden, 30 to 35 min. Remove from oven and let stand until loaves are cool enough to touch, about 10 min. Cut each diagonally into 1/2-in. slices. Place a rack on baking sheet. Arrange sliced biscotti on rack, cut-side down. Continue baking until very firm and golden brown, 20 to 30 more min.
- STIR icing sugar with ground chai spice and water until smooth. Drizzle over tops of cooled biscotti. Let stand until icing is firm.
- STORE in an airtight container up to 1 week or freeze up to 1 month.
- Chai spice: Combine 2 tsp ground ginger with 1 tsp each black peppercorns, ground cinnamon and ground cardamom, 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg and 2 whole cloves in a spice grinder. Grind well.
Baking tip: Creaming butter and sugar