Dutch Bakery & Diner’s Chocolate-Dipped Star CookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 15 min
18 to 20 cookies
“When our family started the bakery 65 years ago, they never would’ve imagined their shortbread cookie recipe would be featured in a magazine! This is our Dutch take on the classic Canadian shortbread—we hope you have fun baking them.” —Michele Byrne, manager, Victoria
- 2/3 cup salted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp icing sugar , (73 g)
- 1 tsp water
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , (180 g)
- 5 tbsp cornstarch , (40 g)
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips , melted
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Beat butter with icing sugar, water and vanilla in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until well combined.
- Stir flour with cornstarch in a medium bowl. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface. Roll out dough to ¼-in. thickness. Cut out cookies with a 3-in.-wide star-shaped cookie cutter, arranging 2 in. apart on baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are light golden, 13 to 14 min. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Dip cooled cookies halfway into melted dark chocolate and let excess drip off. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and let stand until chocolate is firm, about 2 hrs. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.