Nutmeg Bakeshop's Brown Butter Holiday Confetti CookiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 5 min
“This recipe is special to us, as it started on our menu when we were vendors at the Aurora Farmers’ Market—before we even opened our doors. It’s our spin on a holiday sugar cookie. We believe that the browned butter, as well as a generous amount of both salt and vanilla, give it some added depth. It’s also a great base recipe to mix in whatever sprinkles and ingredients you like.” —Megan Fisher, owner, Newmarket, Ont.
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , (240 g)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar , (144 g)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar , (96 g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla , or vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tbsp mixure of red, white and green sprinkles
- Position rack in centre of oven, and then preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Melt 10 tbsp butter in a medium saucepan set over medium. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often with a heatproof spatula, until milk solids have turned a medium-dark brown and butter begins to smell nutty, 5 to 7 min. Pour browned butter into a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tbsp butter to browned butter. Stir until melted. Set aside and let cool slightly, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, combine flour with baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk both sugars, vanilla and salt into melted butter. Whisk in egg and egg yolk vigorously until well combined. Set aside for 5 min. Then whisk vigorously for 30 sec. Continue this cycle until mixture is pale and thick, 1 or 2 more times.
- Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture until only a few streaks of flour remain. Add sprinkles, and then stir just until combined and no streaks remain. (Be careful not to overmix.) Scoop 2-tbsp portions of dough and arrange 2 in. apart on prepared sheets.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until cookies are just browned at the edges, about 8 min. (Middles of cookies will be slightly puffed; they may have some “wiggle” and look slightly underdone, but they will set as they cool.) Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.