Strawberry Grapefruit SmashBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This sweet-and-tart gin cocktail is the perfect toast to fresh, peak-season strawberries
- 227 g strawberries , hulled and chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 tbsp honey , or granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Aperol
- 1/4 cup gin
- ice cubes
- sliced strawberries , for garnish
- grapefruit , wedges for garnish
- strawberry flavoured sparkling water , such as Bubly
- Mash chopped strawberries in a bowl until coarsely pureed. Stir in honey, grapefruit juice and lemon juice. Let stand 5 min.
- Strain mixture through a fine strainer into a large cup. Use the back of a spoon to press on pulp, extracting as much liquid as possible. Discard or reserve pulp for another use. Stir Aperol and gin into the same cup.
- Pour into 2 glasses filled halfway with ice, then top with flavoured sparkling water. Garnish with sliced strawberries and grapefruit wedges.
Spread the leftover strawberry pulp on scones or bread as an alternative to jam.