This easy and attractive appetizer layers two of our favourite treats ‘chunky spicy salsa and melted cheddar cheese’ on crisp baguette rounds like a fancy, open-faced grilled cheese sandwich. It satisfies comfort cravings and has a stylish retro look that you’ll see at cocktail parties this season.
Nippy cheddar and salsa bruschetta
This article has not been rated yet.
30 to 35 toasts
- 1 baguette
- 1 avocado
- 175-mL salsa , preferably spicy
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup sour cream , optional
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 500F (250C). For easy cleanup, line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Slice baguette into 1/2-inch (1-cm) thick rounds. Arrange rounds in a single layer on baking sheet. Toast in centre of preheated oven 3 minutes. Turn and continue baking until rounds are crispy and edges begin to brown, 2 to 3 more minutes.
- While baguette is toasting, slice avocado in half. Remove peel and discard pit. Chop avocado into 1/4-inch (0.5-cm) pieces. Place in a medium-size bowl. Gently stir in salsa.
- Remove toasts from oven, then sprinkle each with a heaping teaspoon (7 mL) cheese. Bake in centre of preheated 500F (250C) oven until cheese melts, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove toasts from oven. Top each with a dollop of salsa, then a dab of sour cream. Sprinkle with coriander. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.5 g,
- 5 g,
- 3.3 g,
- 0.6 g,
- 113 mg.