Slow-rise Italian panettone
1 h 10 min
Panettone is an Italian sweet bread is bursting with dried fruit goodness. Serve this triple-tested recipe warm at a holiday breakfast or for dessert.
- 1 cup sultana raisins
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- orange zest , from 1 orange
- 3 eggs , at room temperature
- 1 tbsp honey , warmed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup unsalted butter , cubed, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped candied orange peel
- 1/3 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
- STIR raisins with rum and 2 tbsp water in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, 1 min. Stir, then cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- COMBINE flour with sugar, salt, yeast and orange zest in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix, using the paddle attachment, at low speed.
- WHISK eggs with 2/3 cup lukewarm water, honey and vanilla. Gradually pour into flour mixture. Increase speed to medium-low. Continue beating, and add 1 1/4 cups butter, 1 tbsp at a time, until blended. Increase speed to medium-high and beat dough until smooth and elastic, about 10 min. (Stand mixer may move around the counter as the beating proceeds.)
- REMOVE paddle, keeping dough in bowl. Drain raisins, discarding any liquid. Add to dough along with orange and citron peels and 1 tbsp melted butter. Gently knead fruit and butter into dough until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a cold oven until doubled in size, 12 to 15 hours. Note: In the winter, some kitchens are cooler, so the first rise may take at least 24 hours.
- REMOVE plastic wrap and lightly sprinkle top of dough with flour. Turn out onto a floured counter. Dust dough with a little more flour. Fold edges into the centre and place seam-side down in same mixing bowl. Cover with a damp kitchen towel (not terry cloth) and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 5 hours.
- POSITION oven rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 350F.
- TRANSFER dough onto a floured cutting board. Divide dough into 12 equal portions. (A kitchen scale will make this easier.) Place dough portions in 12 2 1/2-in.-wide paper panettone baking molds, or in an ungreased 12-cup muffin tin. Dough will be about even with the top edges of molds. Brush tops with remaining 1 tbsp melted butter.
- BAKE in lower third of oven until a skewer inserted into centre of a panettone comes out clean, 30 to 35 min.
Order paper panettone baking moulds through Golda’s Kitchen.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 61 g,
- 23 g,
- 2 g,
- 133 mg.