Updated May 9, 2018Chatelaine
1 1/2 cups
raisins, (205 g)
2 3/4 cups
all-purpose flour, divided (375 g)
granulated sugar, (50 g)
orange zest, (optional)
quick-rise yeast, (2 1/4 tsp)
cinnamon, (2 g)
salt, (6 g)
warm milk, (125 g)
unsalted butter, melted (30 g)
egg, at room temperature (50 g)
- COVER raisins with boiling water in a small bowl. Let stand until plump, 10 min. Drain well and pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- COMBINE 1 cup flour with granulated sugar, yeast, cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg and raisins (and orange zest, if desired) in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Beat in 1/3 cup warm water, warm milk, butter and egg. Beat in remaining 1 3/4 cups flour on medium until dough is smooth and pulls cleanly away from the bottom and sides of bowl, 5 to 7 min. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl. Cover loosely with a plastic wrap and let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- LINE a baking sheet with parchment. Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball. Transfer to prepared sheet and arrange balls in 3 rows of 4, so they are just touching. Loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let stand until doubled in size, 1 more hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 350F. Stir 1/4 cup flour with 1/4 cup water until smooth. Spoon or pipe a cross over each bun. Bake in centre of oven until golden brown, about 25 min.
- STIR icing sugar with 2 tbsp water until smooth. Brush evenly over hot buns. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely.
NutritionCalories 249, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 51 g, Fat 4 g, Fibre 3 g, Sodium 208 mg. Excellent source of folate
How to roll cookie dough