Cinnamon scroll loaf
This article has not been rated yet.
Photo, Erik Putz.
This sweet bread, laced with brown sugar and cinnamon, is a luxurious weekend treat.
, (2 1/4 tsp)
, (120F to 130F)
, (120F to 130F)
, melted (60 g)
2 3/4 cups
, (435 g)
, (50 g)
, (6 g)
, at room temperature (125 g)
, (103 g)
, (2 g)
, beaten (50 g)
- COMBINE yeast with warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let stand until frothy, 10 min. Beat in warm milk, 1/4 cup melted butter and yolks until combined. Add flour, granulated sugar and salt. Beat on medium, until dough is smooth and pulls cleanly away from the bottom and sides of bowl, 4 to 6 min. Transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and cover loosely with a damp kitchen towel. Let rest until dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Stir 1/2 cup butter with brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Beat egg with 1 tbsp water in a small bowl until combined.
- DIVIDE prepared dough into 2 portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll on a lightly floured surface into a 9 × 14-in. rectangle. Spread half of butter mixture evenly over dough to the edges. With the short edge facing you, tightly roll up dough in jelly roll fashion. Place, seam-side down, in one half of a lightly oiled 9 × 5-in. loaf pan. Repeat with remaining dough and butter mixture, so both rolls are side by side in loaf pan. Cover with damp towel and let rise until doubled, 1 hour.
- BRUSH rolls with egg wash. Place loaf pan on a baking sheet. Bake until bread is golden, 50 to 55 min. Let stand for 10 min. Transfer bread onto a rack to cool completely.
- Kitchen tip: Reach for a digital scale to get the most accurate (and easiest) baking results.
The three best ways to separate an egg
Looking for a twist on this cinnamon bread recipe? Check out the cinnamon twist wreath recipe or the more traditional cinnamon bun recipe.