Chocolate babka spiralBy Chatelaine
2 hrs 55 min
This sweet bread, topped with crunchy streusel and swirled with butter and dark chocolate, is breakfast and dessert all rolled into one.
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour , divided
- 8-g pkg quick-rise yeast , about 2 tsp
- 3/4 cup hot 2% milk , (120 to 130F)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 3 egg yolks , at room temperature
- 2 eggs , at room temperature
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips , finely chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 tsp cold unsalted butter
- SPRAY the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook, with oil. Add 1 cup flour and yeast. Stir in hot milk, 1/4 cup melted butter, yolks and eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and salt. Beat on high until combined, 1 min. Reduce speed to medium-low and gradually add remaining 2 1/2 cups flour until dough comes together. Increase speed to high and continue beating until dough is smooth, 7 to 8 min. Remove dough hook and scrape dough from side of bowl to form a ball. Cover bowl with a lightly damp kitchen towel. Let stand for 10 min.
- STIR 1/2 cup butter with chocolate chips and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl until combined.
- LINE a large baking sheet with parchment. Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll a portion on a floured surface into an 8 × 12-in. rectangle, with the long side toward you. Spread half of chocolate mixture over dough to the edges. Tightly roll dough in jelly roll fashion, rolling from long edge. Fold the roll in half so the 2 ends meet. With 1 hand, hold the 2 ends together, and with the other hand, hold the rounded end. Twist the ends in opposite directions once or twice, then curl the babka, tucking the cut ends under the rounded end. Set on 1 side of prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and chocolate mixture. Cover with same kitchen towel and let rest for 1 hour. (It won’t double in size.)
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. Mix 1/4 cup flour with 2 tbsp sugar and 4 tsp butter in a small bowl until crumbly. Brush babkas with water, then sprinkle with streusel, pressing into dough so it sticks. 5. Bake in centre of oven, covering with foil halfway through, until tops are golden, about 40 min. (Loaves should sound hollow when tapped lightly.) Transfer to a rack to cool for 10 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 44 g,
- 19 g,
- 2 g,
- 405 mg.